Friday, February 5, 2016

Canal Run in Birmingham, UK, Feb 5 2016

Hey there. No running news from me in a long time and I'll do my best to update this blog more frequently. 2015 was a bit of a bust for me and running. I helped a few people on their races or running endeavours which was satisfying but no big ultra races for me.

Last February I was in a European city with canals and had a cold evening run there but enjoyed it and met some student runners that evening. A year later and I'm over in Europe again, this time up in Birmingham, UK, for a week followed by another in London so I hope I'll have a few more opportunities to get some miles in and have some unique running experiences.

I've never been to Birmingham City before. I lived down in Kent for 18 years before returning to Canada. After a long flight it was nice to get out the following day and clear my head and the temperature was fantastic. My apartment was right in the heart of the city and it was funny. When my taxi dropped me off I couldn't get all the way there as streets were closed. There were thousands lined up down the street and asking a security guard what it was all about, it turns out the auditions for Brittains Got Talent was going on. As I tried to get my bearings with my suitcase everybody got animated and everybody had their phones out taking pictures as Simon Cowell came out to give a few words to cameras. The last time I ran into him was at Mauritious airport as I was returning from a scuba diving holiday.

So I checked my tablet for the best access to the canal, donned my outfit at 4pm and headed out. The outskirts of Birmingham I wasn't impressed with but so far the city centre is interesting, very bustling with many stores and pubs and young people with the university right here.

I got to a bridge and walked down a few flights of stairs and there I was just as a guy came charging out of the bridge heading my way so I began my run a few paces behind him. It was really nice with this very busy city all around and yet a peaceful area to run along with the train tracks on one side, sometimes close and other times with modern flats overlooking the canal. The canal itself was very narrow and you could get a few canal boats only, a number of which I saw moored up alongside the bank.rr

At one point the canal passed over a bridge which was cool. More like an aqueduct at that point. The guy had his ear pods on but was aware I was behind him. At first I thought he might be a tad too quick for me but I stayed with him and then he slowed a bit and I was going to pass him but as I came by I said hello and he was happy to say hello and we carried in together outward for about 3 miles carrying on a conversation until he turned around. I headed on another little bit and then turned back myself as it was getting dusk by now. Both outward and back there were many other runners and even more cyclists passing by one another along the narrow pathway but it was quite scenic and enjoyable.

Only 10km but it was enough and I'm glad I got out. It made a really nice new run and perhaps I'll take a jog up some of the busier high streets over the next days to see the shops in the evening. I hope you are all getting in some training runs too. It was really good in my corner of Ontario right up until I left for the UK. Unseasonably warm and very little snow which is great!






No comments:

Post a Comment