Friday, June 29, 2012

2012 LIMBERLOST CHALLENGE 56KM - just signed up

Well, it's 12:30pm on 29th June 2012. After reading everything I could find online; YouTube videos, Blogs, confirmed entries to date and The Limberlost Challenge website I just confirmed my entry a moment ago for the 56km event (4 laps of a 14km course around 5 lakes up in Huntsville, Ontario).


There are race distances from 14, 28, 42, and 56km (1-4 laps of a 14km loop) so I think almost anybody could give it a crack. It is only the third year of this event but it sounds like it's getting bigger and better and there is chip timing and what sounds like a great buffet after. I'd expect in my race distance there will be about 80-100 racers. They are doing staggered starts from 8am to spread us out over the course and camping for a very reasonable $12/night (2 night camping available Friday/Saturday night). The website also provides info for other hotels/motels/b&b's in the area.


If you enter before the end of tommorrow (30th June) you also get a T-shirt in your entry fee. I don't think there are any medals for finishing and that's cool. Maybe some year they'll think of some neat memento other than a medal - perhaps something 'organic': a wood coaster or something. No matter. I didn't enter for shiny trinkets; rather for the experience. What that experience is will have to wait until my post race summery but being only 2 weeks away it won't be long to wait.


It's quite a distance from me to travel to but I couldn't resist based on what I saw and I just hope I'm up for the challenge. The majority of this course - probably almost all since they have changed it this year - will be off-road which I love but pacing is going to be key and not injuring myself on the course which is easy enough to do on any unknown off-road terrain but looks particularly possible here.


Pacing can be extremely difficult in an offroad situation where markers are fewer or non-existant and where you may spend long periods on your own. I guess having a Garmin would help but I don't and generally run by 'feel' which has not helped me. I ran by feel in the Sulphur Springs 50 miler about a month ago and after a lap had destroyed myself and even in Niagara last weekend on a course I am very familiar with still did the first 1/2 far faster than intended.


The organisers ask that you bring your own cutlery and plate along with you for the food after and that the aid stations will fill up your water bottles but they won't have oodles of paper or plastic cups which I think is good.


The organisers also say that wildlife is of the less dangerous kind. I think one runner last year came across a bear and a few of the runners just waited a few minutes for it to carry on. If you come across anything it is more likely to be deer or maybe you'll spot a beaver or raccoon. I'm looking forward to smelling the fresh forest smells and the cushioning of the trails underfoot. I have not purchased any gaiters but it's likely that I may have to empty my shoes if any of those pine needles find their way inside.


I finished the Niagara Ultra 50km last weekend in a pretty favourable time and placing (will work harder for next year) and at The Limberlost Challenge I really don't have any expectations. At this point I'm just hoping I won't have to drop out. My achilles tendon on the left foot is really playing up and icing is not helping much. I did a 10 miler on Tues, had to stop before I even started on Wed as it was really smarting and managed 7 miles yesterday, grimacing for the first 3 miles until things got warmed up. I want to do some hill repeats but that will just aggrovate things so will continue with icing and do my best.


I don't have any camping gear so am begging around, otherwise I'll be camping out in the back of my car. There is a lake right there you can swim which sounds lovely both before and after and while the campers won't have hook-up to electricity you have port-a-potties, fresh water and a bar-b-que pit you can use. The website also mentions the various restaurants/food choices in the area.


I've read a few bloggers reports that say when they punched in the GPS the co-ordinates it didn't get them there first time so be aware of that and have a clue where you are going. I don't have a GPS and have not navigated up into cottage country before so will be a first for me. I'll probably end up in Timmins knowing my navigation skills. Maybe I'll start a race there for one.


I've looked at the confirmation list to date and seen a few names of people I've heard refered to in other blogs - Chris P, Kinga, and a woman who seems to be right about my pacing called Laurie McGrath so maybe I'll run into her and others. I also saw a video that showed one woman at the Limberlost who I ran into at the Niagara race last weekend so maybe she'll be there. I think I also saw a video of the race director for the Niagara run doing this race - Henri. I guess the ultra community is still fairly small in comparison to shorter or more traditional races and you'll start seeing familiar faces which is nice. I've got nothing negative to say about the various people I've met so far in my short ultra career.


Well, I guess I'll sign off. I'm really looking forward to getting up there and hopefully I'll run across some of you. If you are considering signing up I think you should. It looks like a well-organised run in a lovely part of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment