Monday, June 25, 2012

2011 RUN FOR THE TOAD 50KM - RACE REPORT


Since I created this blog a few weeks ago I thought I'd try to recall some details about the 'Run For the Toad' 50km in October of 2011. That was my first Canadian Ultra Cross Country Race. I'd done a few 18 mile cross country races when I lived in Kent, UK (called 'The North Downs') and remembered how much I enjoyed being offroad.

I had done the Niagara Ultra 50km in June 2011 and the Toad was my next race. I had spoken with some finishers at Niagara and they highly recommended it so after doing some research and liking what I saw I set my eyes on this race. I like cooler running and the Niagara Ultra I found very warm and know that affected my performance. I didn't keep a log of my mileage last year but I was doing ok with it but in hindsight I was very sadly lacking in the thing that would have helped me most - running off road. It seems pretty logical but all my running was on the paved footpaths along the Niagara River or at my local gym on treadmills.

I can't recall what my race goals were. I probably looked at finishing times and did some extrapolations but I don't remember what they were any more. I remember a very early drive to Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area. I got lost and was getting worried but having allowed myself plenty of time I eventually got there and got settled in. I remember it was very cold with a strong breeze. I thought the set-up at the start/finish was superb and alot of effort went into that I know. The toilet facilities were excellent and I quickly got my kit from the marquee and rested in the back of my car, speaking with two guys who had parked next to me. I don't recall their names now but one of them sounded like he was probably going to do pretty well considering his marathon time a few months prior but I think this was his first off-road race also.

I cut holes in a garbage bag for arms and head and with a few minutes to the start made my way over. There were what felt like hundreds huddled in the big marquee trying to stay warm, jumping up and down and you could see the nervous tension at work and smell all the huddled bodies and various applications of Ben Gay and whatever else. At the last moment we lined up and heard the Scottish pipe band play and then it was a go. . .the course is 4 laps of 12.5km loops.

Once we got running I quickly warmed up and actually the day was perfect for running throughout the race. The sun came out later and it warmed up but nothing unbearable. I remember putting a snickers bar under my shirt to eat at some point and holding a water bottle. I didn't wear a belt pack at this stage, nor did I use energy gels or powders but I do now. I like to start not too far from the front pack just to keep away from the masses where you can get into traffic jams in single track and I didn't experience any bunching that I recall. It felt really nice underfoot and the course was undulating/rolling but not dreadful for hills - I thought Sulphur Springs was more hilly overall. There is one hill a few km from the start/finish line that is a total pig. I don't know what the incline is but it's higher than any treadmill setting I think. The only nice thing is that is it quite short. The first lap I jogged up it and was winded and the second and third laps I walked it. The third lap I almost crawled it actually and thank goodness it was not wet or it would have been ghastly!

It was really nice coming through the end of the lap and having a bleachers set up for spectators to cheer from. There was a running (no pun intended) commentary going on but I didn't really clue in to what was being said.

In hindsight I went off too quickly and I didn't do any cross-country training and either of those can be race-enders and I did both and paid the price. I finished the first lap and by the half-way point of the second lap I knew I was in trouble. The third lap was a total disaster and I walked at alot of points, threw up a few times, never remembered to eat the damn Snickers bar even though it was in my hands by this point, and as I got past the finish line at the end of the 3rd lap I knew the gas tank was empty and I wanted to call it quits. They tried to put a medal on me (there were different distances being run) but I told her I had not completed the race and figured I'd earn it next year. I was pretty dejected and sat on the bleachers and heard the commentator announce Ellie Greenwood coming in to the finish. Looking at her times, damn she is fast!

My placing was 142nd of 178. All the ones after me also DNF'd at different points. My three lap splits were 1:03, 1:07 and 1:24. The first two laps would have put in around 14th place but of course it's not how fast you start but how fast you finish and better pacing might have got me around that fourth lap but I gained some valuable knowledge. I remember I didn't have any of the delicious food they had on after. I just wanted to get back to the car, lick my mental wounds and get out of there.

It is a great course and extremely well organised. George and Peggy have been Race Directors for years and they know what they are doing so hats off to them both.

Well, I hope that you will come out to the 2012 event. I intend to enter and try to redeem myself and actually get the medal this time and enjoy some post-race food and hang around to cheer in others so fingers crossed.

It's now two days after the Niagara 50km race and I'm stiff and sore still but am seriously considering the 'Limberlost' 56km race way the heck up in Huntsville because it sounds beautiful. We'll see but if not that one I think the Toad will be my next event.

Here are a few 'me' photos during the race.


Start of lap 3 (called it quits after this lap)


The nasty hill a few km from the end of the lap - first lap when I ran up it

3rd time going up the hill - quads burning - not looking so chipper now

No comments:

Post a Comment